28 Oct 14 Ways To Make Money With Your Laptop – Eeny, Meeny, Miny, Moe?
Hmmmm…how I love thee blogging…let me count the ways? Okay, sappy, but oh-so-very true!
When I discovered that I could write AND make a living online, I was hooked! After all, I started this adventure when I was going through a painful divorce and the lowest of my lowest time in my life.
At night, while waiting for my then teen-aged children to come home all in one piece, I would scour the internet on my old, trusty HP laptop looking for ways that I could work from home, or travel the world one day while working on my laptop. “Make money in your pjs” was a popular phrase back then and I often read until late at night, bleary-eyed numerous hypey, used-car sales-type sales page. I fell for it, spending my few dollars on this program and that.
I became a Mystery Shopper, (no offense if you like doing this), but I always felt like I was a “spy” on those poor girls/guys who were out there working hard for a meager minimum wage. Then, after I mystery-shopped at a restaurant or some shop that I was sent to, I had to spend the rest of the night filling out endless pages of questions about my visit, including questions like “what did the parking lot look like?” The parking lot? What? I guess it was clean. I never really noticed a parking lot condition, unless it had a big tree in the way of the drive-thru on the way to get my burger, fries and sweet tea, you know what I mean? The parking lot, for goodness sakes! I thought I would lose it.
But, I faithfully filled out the forms, knowing that in my heart of hearts, one day SOMETHING online would make me a million buck-a-roos and I would never have to work another day in my Baby Boomer life.
Well, fast forward to some 8 years later, and I do NOT work another day in my life, because I LOVE doing what I do online. What is that you say? It’s a mutli-tasked myriad of daily tasks of many years of learning many skills, but I’ve honed it down to mostly the ones that bring in the money in Paypal to pay the bills.
After all, isn’t that what counts if you are doing online marketing full-time? Yep, I think so. Plus, I feel like I’m helping others along the way avoid the stinky pitfalls that I fell into of wasting thousands of hours and weekends, plugging away on schemes that didn’t work or that I didn’t work them long enough to make them work. I accept responsiblity for having Internet A.D.D. I love that description of A.D.D. that goes something like this (Kristie Version):
Mary Had A Little Lamb, Wait! Where’s her staff? Oh, and what color is her staff? What Size Does Her Staff Come In? Can You Buy It on Amazon, or it is Cheaper on Ebay? And, where IS that book about Mary Had A Little Lamb I saw the other day? Hmmmm… I Wonder If It Comes In A Toy Version That I Can Buy My Grandbaby for Christmas and Oh, Is The Toy Version On Sale this weekend? Maybe..
Scary, right? Can you relate? I believe that this is especially true of entrepreneurs that have so much going on in our active, mocha-soaked brains, that it often comes out on our lips before we know it escapes, and people often ask us in amazement, “Uh, is that a brain sample of what is actually going through your head right now?” Weird-O-Rama, right? Oops, my Baby Boom generational kind-of-talk just showed up. Oh, well. Blogging is about being real, so I’m being real here and letting it all “hang out.”
Isn’t that what life is all about? Being real to those you love? And I love my subscribers, so let’s get back to that. Having a list of subscribers and a blog to keep subscribers coming back to you, is the key to having a successful blog. You can have a blog without subscribers to market products to, but it takes months, most of the time YEARS to make income from a blog without a decent amount of readers to attract advertisers or ads that make any substantial income.
I came to blogging through a different door. I came in through the Internet Marketing world, where I built this city,I built this city on (oh, that song is going through my head like a freight train) ……product creation and those who bought my products. It is there in the workshop of sweating out and birthing new products as fast as I could working until the wee hours of the morning to provide quality and income proof, that I have honed my craft. It is there that I studied my peers and what to do and what not to do, that makes all of this crazy online and virtual world a place I like to come back to day after day and many a night after night.
I have never studied anything so intently and with such passion as I have this one thing – making money online with your laptop from anywhere, anytime as long as you have a live, working, breathing internet connection.
Nothing business-related has ever fascinated me, intrigued me, and exhausted me like the hunt for true, work from home methods that any Mom, any Dad, any teen could actually do on the computer and make money from it. In my quest, I have researched or made money from almost all of these methods. I am going to list them to expand your thinking since you may not have had the luxury of time or the keen desire to chase down what is available online. So, let me allow you to feast your eyes on just some of the ways you can generate income from your laptop anywhere, any ‘ol time you choose to “start her up.”
- Kindle Books – write them (free) or have them written for you (paid).
- Amazon Affiliate Program – promote any one of thousands of products with (free) Youtube videos, simple blogger reviews (free) or Bing, Facebook or Google Ads. (paid)
- Youtube Videos – to promote your products, other people’s products, or (real case study) a local Dog Sitter (charged a fee for video creation).
- Website Creation – put up ads on Craigslist for inexpensive web design and created websites for a roofer, a caterer, a wedding photographer and the local pet sitter who was such a delightful client that loved her website and all of her new clients so much, she brought me a dozen yellow roses one day.
- Mobile Marketing – still have a local client who pays me to monitor their Mobile Website.
- Text Marketing – studied a course about how to promote text marketing to local business owners to bring their customers back in for the Deal of the Day, but didn’t get any takers on this venture.
- Courses on How To Make Money With Youtube – Very successful and FUN when I see those sales roll into my Paypal account for ugly, dog videos promoting a dog training program that used to be on the virtual marketplace called Clickbank. In fact, I get weekly or daily commissions every day. That’s what I love about internet. Unlike me, it never sleeps and goes all over the world while I sleep. Hmmmm…that phrase on those ‘hypey” sales pages proved to be true.
- Affiliate Marketing – ah, my personal favorite. Promote someone else’s hard work and get paid. Or, suggest services that I use myself and get paid by helping others find the golden nuggets that I’ve found really do work, after all.
- Membership Sites – like this one. Take your best goodies and download a free Membership Plugin called Membership Pro on a WordPress site and start your own Membership site where you charge a monthly fee.
- Google Adsense – Google adsense is where I saw my first $100 check way back when I was putting up free Blogger.net blogs. I would write a post or 2 or 5 a day, and then just add the box called “adsense” and began to get people to read my free blogs and some of them would click on the ads Google provides and I got paid. I am still using this way to make an extra stream of income on my other blog and love it.
- Consulting for Local Businesses, charged a consulting fee to a guy about search engine optimization who was putting up a local car wash.
- Coaching for online students by email.
- Built a list of subscribers with “squeeze pages.” What is a squeeze page? It is a page with a form built-in with your autoresponder code that asks people for their emails, just like you see on this blog. I personally use the autoresponder called Aweber to send out my emails and Leadpages as a more professsional look for my forms to ask for people to subscribe to my blog.
- Blogging using my own thoughts and knowledge of the internet as a ways to monetize your blog with free traffic such as Pinterest, Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and the apps called Buffer and Tailwind.
Why blogging? I love to write. I attended a $5000/head Mastermind group several years ago and met up with a guy named Matt who is a multi-millionaire from his online ventures. He pushed me to come to the Mastermind Conference having already written about 100 pieces of content. I showed up with 76 short stories, but it was enough to compile into my very first ebook that sold for $37 to a guy in Singapore, ready for this?
While I slept in my PJs! Yep, true story! I was delighted and after that weekend of seeing how the whole process worked of building your list of people who actually like you and want to hear where you have to say bad enough that they trust you with their email, I never looked back. Well, that’s not entirely true. I had to substitute teach in schools from you-know-where until I began to build a list of subscribers from launching products. But, when the income was sustainable, I quit teaching. Don’t get me wrong, I love children, but I don’t love the educational system or the threat of shootings in classrooms, these days.
One of the last times I was substitute teaching, the principal came down the hall and told me to ‘watch the doors, there was a shooting in the street nearby and they hadn’t caught the shooter.” I looked at those innocent children playing basketball in the gym and a tight ball of fear began to knot in my stomach. What a shame that our children and the teachers who try to protect them, have to endure that type of anxiety!
Nonetheless, I loved internet marketing and my children begged me not to go back to substitute teaching, so I spent even more hours determined to figure it out. I didn’t do it alone, and most successful folks online didn’t either. They read and studied other people’s successes and to a certain extent, modeled after them with their own unique and personal flavor.
So, where are you in this crazy online world? What obstacle do you need to take a flying leap over and conquer? Have you started your blog yet? Have you put a form on your blog to capture all of those lovely visitors and welcome them to your blog? Do you lay out the welcome mat with a Hello or a How-do-you-do? If not, can I suggest that today you do this? Do you now why the phrase “Just Do It” is so popular? It is the key to success in working out and getting it done. It is a call to action that runs quickly over any objections. So, let me say it to you. Don’t wait to start a blog and capture your visitors. Start right now, even if you don’t know all of those answers.
Be unstoppable. Be relentless. Be hungry to win. If you don’t how to do something online, go to Google or Youtube and just simply search for it. You may be surprised that 99% of the time you can find what you are looking for in those two search engines. Feed your mind with these thoughts of a winner as you will hear in this motivational video. I listen to as often as I have time.
Now, off you go and don’t get stuck in blogging A.D.D. mode of getting ready to get ready to get ready.
You are as ready now as you ever will be. =).